Web design is specifically the look and feel of your website. Web design is the process of planning and building the elements of your website including color, typography, layout, icons, use of imagery and video. Without web design, websites could function correctly but they would be hard to navigate and understand. You want users to feel confident and excited on your website, not confused or frustrated. Spending time on design elements and the website layout ensures that users connect to your brand, understand how to use your website and successfully take the actions you want them to (purchasing products, submitting an inquiry, etc.)
I provide custom web design and that means the design process starts with a blank file. I do not use pre-made themes or templates for my client projects. There are plenty of decent themes and templates available out there, but I specialize in creating one-of-a-kind websites for my clients.
My design process starts with research.
- I review other websites in your industry and see what works and what doesn’t work on their websites.
- I share inspirational websites with you and see what you like and what you don’t like
- I study the functionality that is required for your website and find ways to communicate it successfully via design.
- I identify the primary actions you want users to take on your website (submit an inquiry, purchase a product, sign up for a course, etc.) and create unique user journeys
Then I start designing.
- I take your existing brand and translate it for the web (accessible color palettes, web-friendly font options, unique icons and graphics, etc.)
- I take these digital brand elements and start creating the layout of your website. I marry content with design.
- I typically create interactive prototypes of the primary pages of your website including (but not limited to) homepage, about, contact, product collection, individual product, etc.
- Each prototype is a pixel perfect to what the real website will look like.
The design process is a collaborative effort.
It all starts with a first draft! When I share web designs with you I welcome your feedback and ideas. I’m open minded to explore different styles and directions. A typically website project goes through a few drafts until we get it just right. I complete the design process and move on to site development only with your final approval.